I’ll soon be publishing the Go West Guide to Farmer’s Markets, but in the meantime, here’s a few places where you can plan to pick your own produce this summer. Of course we’ll have a guide to apple orchards this fall.
* Susie’s Garden Patch is expecting strawberries to come early this year, before Memorial Day. It’s located at 10285 US Highway 20 in Garden Prairie, near Rockford. Call815-597-3011 to check availability on what’s available for picking.
* Plow Creek Farm offers U-Pick strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries. It is located about 8 miles south of Princeton and 3/4 miles east of the town of Tiskilwa, on County Road 23. Call 815-646-4862 for a daily update on what’s available and the farm’s hours.
* Granny’s Berries is located in Rochelle at 3405 South White Rock Road, featuring blueberries and raspberries in July and August. Call 815-562-4452 for availability.
* Stade’s Farm & Market is located in McHenry at 3709 W. Miller Road. It features U-Pick strawberries approximately starting mid-June and running for three or four weeks after that. Call 815-675-6396 to chek availability.
* UP Berries is located at 30683 Lanana Road in the DeKalb County town of Kingston. It expects to be offering red raspberries in July, and possibly blueberries this summer, too. For more info, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Knutson’s Country Harvest is located in Newark at 13550 Townhouse Road, about 30 miles west of Joliet. Its U-Pick orchard features strawberries, black raspberries, blueberries, apples, peaches, blackberries and pears. Call 815-695-5905 for more information and to check availability.
* Olive Berry Acres offers a number of variety of raspberries, rhubard and strawberries. It is located at 2575 W. Mine Road in the Grundy County town of Mazon. Call 815-474-6511 for availability.