We’re experiencing some gorgeous weather currently, but we all know the sad truth: Soon enough, we’ll be looking for indoor places for the kids to play. The Go West Indoor Play Guide is a great spot to start for ideas, and in the coming months, we’ll be posting reviews of a number of the sites in there. Our first review comes from Go West reader Tamara Hickman. She wrote to tell me about what a wonderful time her kids had at an indoor playhouse in Aurora she’d seen listed on the Go West Calendar. With hardly any arm-twisting, she then wrote a review for all of us! — Tara
I’m a working mom of two toddlers, and I love to get them out as much as we can on the weekends.
I happened to take them to the Indoor Playhouse at the Vaughan Athletic Center Field House in Aurora on a Sunday morning for open play. Let me tell you — the kids had a blast! The play area was entirely padded and very clean.
Unfortunately there weren’t any other kids there, and it would have been nice if there were. But my girls had so much fun running from one end of the obstacle course and then going down the slide on the opposite end. I think most children between the ages of 2 and 7 would have a good time at the Indoor Playhouse.
Inside the Vaughan Athletic Center, there is a small concession area with food for sale. But I had packed the kids a lunch, and we were able to eat it at a nearby table.
The playhouse was a nice change of pace, and we will definitely visit again on a rainy fall day.
- Name: Indoor Playhouse at the Vaughan Athletic Center Field House, part of the Fox Valley Park District
- Address: 2121 W. Indian Trail in Aurora
- Hours: The Indoor Playhouse is available for open play on Monday though Friday from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. and Sunday from 8 a.m. to noon.
- Cost: Residents of the Fox Valley Park District pay $2 per hour per child. Non-residents pay $3 per hour per child.
- More info: Call 630-907-9600, ext. 1119
- The Indoor Playhouse also can be rented to host birthday parties through the Fox Valley Park District. Find more info here.
Tamara Hickman and her husband live in St. Charles with their two girls, ages 2 and 3 1/2. The girls keep mommy busy with arts and crafts and daddy busy playing tag. The family loves to “park hop,” checking out parks in neighboring communities.